The Borderlands Inclusive Growth Deal was formally signed on the18th March 2021, bringing in up to £452million of fresh investment to the Borderlands area. Ministers of the UK and Scottish Governments and representatives of the five councils of the Borderlands Partnership signed the Deal at a virtual ceremony.
The Deal is truly distinctive, covering the largest geographical area of any regional growth Deal negotiated with the UK and Scottish Governments and it is the first cross-border deal.
Read the full Deal Document
Our programme of investment will deliver significant economic benefit for our communities and businesses. Over the programme lifetime and a further 10 years to capture the benefits, we estimate that the Borderlands Inclusive Growth Deal will:
- Benefit 1.1 million residents
- Deliver an additional 5,500 job opportunities
- Attract more than four million extra tourists to the area
- Improve mobile and digital connections
- Unlock investment in towns across the area
- Generate around £1.1bn in GVA to the UK economy
The Deal will also tackle the 3 principle socio-economic challenges of our region
- Narrowing the productivity gap
- Increasing the working age population
- Delivering inclusive growth, by addressing digital exclusion; the earnings gap and access to quality jobs and access to education